Friday, September 08, 2006

One week to go until we leave for China. I've been busy videotping examples of my problems, for a before and after video. I expect only a 10-15% improvement, although some folks with similar diseasess have reported a 10-year regression in symptoms.

Some background: I am a male, 54 years old, from Tucson, AZ USA. I was diagnosed in 1998, although I have had real problems with balance and equallibrium since about 1990. I was uncoordinated so much as a child, my Mom made me take ballet lessons at age 7! I am a former artist and musician, but had to give up painting in 1995, and the guitar, bass, banjo & mandolin about a year ago. I really don't miss the art, which still is my profession (See: Novaspace)
But I really do miss the music, which I did profesionally many years ago.

I have SCA-3 (spino-cerebellar ataxia type 3) also known as Machado-Joseph Disease, or MJD.
It affects balance, as mentioned, and motor functions, along with a host of other neurological symptoms, like swallowing problems, cramps, numbness in extremities, tremors, slurred speech, etc. It is eventually fatal.

They have located the offending gene (SCA3 is hereditary), and are close to a cure, but even a cure wouldn't regress damage done. With the stem cells, I hope to buy some time and some relief from the symptoms.

Specifically, I hope to regain enough balance to function, and regain some feeling in my hands and feet. Swallowing and speech improvements would be nice also.

I'll have four injections in four weeks. Two through spinal fluid, two through IV. I am guaranteed 10 million stem cells per injection. The stem cells are umbilical, from donated cord blood, (which is actually legal in the USA, under the present Presidential morality.)

The treatment cost only $13K , since I made the reservation in April. Prices increased in May, but are still far less than the procedure would cost here, if they were even close to clinical therapy. They have been doing stem cell treatments in China for five years, mostly on Chinese citizens, but in recent years, people of many nationalities have come for help.