Thursday, September 21, 2006

DAY FIVE Sept. 21

Sunny came by yesterday, and insisted on adding an air mattress to my bed to make it softer. I couldn't make her understand not to bother. I sleep on the floor at home. The hard bed is fine with me. The air mattress was also roly-poly and hard to get on, and alarmed the nurses, who thought I might fall off at night. We took it off.

Finally got a visit from Dr. Yang, the head neuologist this morning. He gave me a pretty thourogh exam, but I'm so worn out from over-doing it in physical therapy, I can hardly stand today. I looked pathetic. Had my throat, acupuncture, and massage therapy, but have to go back to physio in a half hour. Yuck.

Brought my iPod to acupuncture, and got many admiring looks. It's nice to hear familiar tunes.

I chopped a chuink out of my knee yesterday on the stationary bike. It was no big thing, but everyone insisted on taking care of it to avoid infection. It seem so nice that all the staff takes such good care of you and looks out for you. I get blood pressure and temp checked 3x a day. Only temp is taken in the armpit, with a thermometer.

A nice lady from Canada came in today , with her thirty something daughter with Frederich's ataxia, SCA 1. We showed her around. A couple of families from Iran are here. Shahab, from Pakistan, left with his two kids yesterday. Mauricio and his wife are here from Italy with their son. This whole ward is a lot international families, desparately seeking hope for their loved ones.

Pretty hot and humid today, also, but each room has individual A/C contols, so we keep it pretty nice in there. Watched movies last night, but these pirated DVDs are low quality, and the remote is in Chinese. All of the English subtitles make no sense at all.

Many people are wearing dust masks today, the air outside smells of chemicals. Shen Zhen is an industrial city, so maybe there was some sort of spill.

At night, couldn't relax, so I went out on the smoking balcony and admired the scenery. Cool breeze. This city goes on forever, with these high-rises. Lots of activity, traffic, nightlifr.