Friday, September 22, 2006

DAY SIX Sept.22
Sunnier today, though still hazy. Shenzhen's population has been revised upward to 12 million, and has been named one of the top three places to live in China. Criteria included traffic, leisure time, employment, an housijg. It seems to be a young people's town.

They hustled me downstairs this morning for a thourough cardiac sonogram. I guess they don't want the old man collapsing in physical therapy. I was about ready to yesterday. I had a bad day; was pretty tired, back hurt, and couldn't sleep.

The girls are out shopping again. I'm sure glad Kathy came along, so Sally could do something besides watching me mope around. They know their way around the area pretty good. But haven't gone in for the famous pedicure or massage yet.

My next stem cells are scheduled for Monday, but that can change. This on'e's spinal; a lot more effective, but a little scarier. Hal says they numb you first, then withdraw some spinal fluid, and then inject the cells with nerve growth factor. They have to inject an equal volume or you get an imbalance which causes bad headaches. I'm prone to headaches, anyway.

I met Deborah, the lady with Frederich's ataxia. Very attractive, lives in Hong Kong, married to an airline pilot. She is very inspiring, because she doesn't seem to let her condition slow her down, which I've certainly done. She's supposed to get an injection today.

The nurses came in in their little cadre, spotted my bag of prescription drugs and started chattering. "What for?" they asked. I explained; embarassed. I really hope to get off some of this stuff before I leave, especially the Vicodin, which helps me sleep, but also exacerbates the ataxia. I've been taking two to three of them daily for about three years; not like some people who take twenty, but I'm sure by now I've got a withdrawal problem, as evidenced by the sleep problems I've had here. I'm down to half a day, or none at all, but it's tough to lay still in acupuncture, for example.

On another subject, we haven't seen any fat Chinese people here. This is a huge country without a weight problem, despite eating a lot of carbs (rice.) The women and men are downright trim.
I'm hoping my stem cell donors have the famous Asian acrobatic balance. I sure need it.