Saturday, September 23, 2006

DAY SEVEN Sept 23

Sunny and drier today. The girls are out exploring again. They're finding a lot of intereting places. Hopefully, I'll get improvement enough to go outside the hospital in a few weeks. There are only about three rooms on this floor that are empty, so word is getting out around the world.

Finally took a half of a vicodin last night. I was all over the place like a tasmanian devil. The vicodin stops my twitchy shoulders, so I can sleep. Tomorrow's a day off, which I need. Sally says I've been more wobbly than usual this week. I re-took the chunk out of my knee today on the exersize bike. My legs are too long, and I hit the adjustment knob if I'm not watching.

My therapy guru is Dr. Shu, a very charismatic man about 30. He does my acupuncture, and instructs me on physio. He speaks no English, but is extremely cool. Today after he pulled out the needles and handed me my shoes, I said 'ni hao.' He looked at me and said 'ni hao?' which means hello. He then proceeded to laugh, and said something in Chinese to the effect I was being ridiculous. I said ' I meant shay-shay' (thank you.) I found out he is a favorite of other patients, also.

The girls and Deb went out for massage this evening. It sounded like quite an adventure. I'll let Sally say more in a future blog. Cousin Kathy leaves in a week. Deb will be a worthy replacement.

It seems the view from the 14th floor doesn't show all the nitty-gritty of thre actual surrondings. All the trees on the wide-tile sidewalks hide the beggars, homeless and vendors. Getting across the street is an exersize in bravado. I'll let Sally say more.