Wednesday, September 27, 2006





DAY ELEVEN Sept 27

Woke up early today, with a very slight headache. Hurts when I cough. I keep stretching- I must be an inch taller by now. Deb and Zaid are supposed to get theirs today. Deb is pretty nervous after what I went through.

The internet here is seroiusly congested during the day. 30 Mil bloggers here. I can usually get my email, though, but sometimes can't read my own blog.

Things that are hard to get here- paper goods, like napkins and paper towels. Forks, any clothing not petite or small sizes, cereal, shower curtains.

Electricity is OK. 220V/50HZ like most of the world. The outlets are universal - combinations of a lot of plug patterns. Most modern electronics have no trouble with 220. Cell phones, computers.. but your hair dryer will fry and die.

1 1/2 billion people here, but 10% are Christian. Most are Bhuddist. This isn't your Father's Communism. Enrepreneurship is encouraged, religion isn't persecuted, people own property.
Civil servants are still surly. It's just a one-party system, like Republicans, only more benevolent and progressive. They provide and subsidize basic needs, but tend to stay in the background. (That'll put me under surveillance.) I think they'll be in for a major economic downturn and environmental problems, but it may be awhile.

Everything is smaller here, like Europe. Everyone seems to have a cell phone. Popular ringtones are traditional Christmas carols! KFC is a little spicier, like Cajun, but the pizza is like home. Portions of Western food are tiny, while rice or noodle dishes are huge. Plenty of fruits. Bananas are popular.

Still, there are disgusting habits, like spitting (which will get you a stiff fine in Hong Kong, but not Shenzhen.) Sally saw a mother expressing unused milk from her breast in plain sight; toddlers doing their business through slit pants on the sidewalk. No bad smells, though. They keep the streets and gardens spotless.

We haven't seen any cats, and only a few dogs. Maybe because they'll run out the windows of some high-rise. Maybe they're mystery meat. Not many wristwatches (but they'll try to sell you a knock-off Rolex) Maybe they get the time from their ubiquitous phones.

The girls are out shopping, due to their truncated trip becaue of my injection yesterday. Kathy, Jennifer and Deb are all leaving tomorrow, so Sally will have to go it alone for awhile. Deb's going to Vietnam for some orphanage, but will be back in a week or so.

Don't worry, Kerry, I'm OK. Drinking lots and peeing all the time. I'm improving, but I think so far it's the physical therapy.

While I was on the rocker board in physio today, Dr. Shu snuck up behind me and tried in vain to trip me up. Rocking from side to side is really easy for me for some reason. "Good" he said, and patted me on the back.

Deb and Zaid have had their injections with no problems. Both are leaving tomorrow afternoon with Kathy by ferry to Hong Kong.