Saturday, October 14, 2006

DAY TWENTY EIGHT Oct 14

Workmen came in and installed an elaborate grab bar system in the bathroom, obviously custom made for these rooms. With the mats, a whole lot less dangerous. They're doing it in all the rooms. See what I did?

Tomrrow's another rest day (Sunday), and Deb returns.

Been freezing my legs and feet at night, while my torso sweats. The AC in this room freezes or heats you depending on where you sit. I'm thinking of wearing long pants and no shirt to bed tonight. It's a few degrees cooler at the foot of the bed.

We've noticed most all the cars here are late-model, and make up about 75% of traffic. No pickups or SUVs. These are all first-cars, and cost probably 1/2 million RMB. There are a lot of cabs, buses, bikes and people walking, but there must be a couple hundred thousand millionaires here. They'll probably have a good used-car market in a few years, but also worse smog and parking. I'll bet the country goes to nuclear power soon. Works for N. Korea! I hear Beijing is really smoggy, and they'll need to address that.

We're planning on going out tomorrow as long as I can hold out.