Monday, October 09, 2006

DAY TWENTY FOUR Oct. 10

Stem cells yesterday. Schedule mixup had me downstairs, when they had me scheduled first up to get a spinal, so instead they took Deb first. After an hour with Dr. Zhang, she was wheeled out in tears. Gabi had no problems, but spinal cord patients usually don't.

I was next. After Dr. Zhang (who kindly asked if I wanted to roll on my uninjured right side) fiddled for about 20 minutes, she sent for some sleeping medicine, which was administered thru an IV. Next thing, I was snoring loudly in my room, (movie,) back a little sore. I definitely want that again! If I was Deb, I'd insist.

Woke up early - no headache, but have the usual uncontrollable stretching.

They had 9 patients for stem cells yesterday, probably more today. They have at least 15 patients on the floor now. Deb and Jean are leaving again Thursday, back again Sunday. We will leave a week from tomorrow.

My shoulder still keeps me out of rehab. Concerning. It's getting better, but it may take a few more days. I need to teach these new cells how to behave, physically. Sally's been washing me, drying me, dressing me, feeding me and holding me when I walk (like she could arrest a fall.) I don't know if that's too good, as doing all those things by myself helps calibrate me for the day. Still, I musn't fall this last week.

Sally's out shopping with Deb and Jean, her mom, for the second time today! The first trip was to Wal-Mart, now at Lo Wu mall. I feel real unsteady, so I don't dare leave the room. Hope she buys some movies. Meantime, I listen to my iPod, and blog wth one hand.

Everyone's telling me to keep my head up, but it's hard for an ex-artist to get out of a funk. I need a sign, or I'll cut my ear off LOL.

Already thinking about the workload when we get back. It will be Christmastime ordering, Jack Schmitt booksigning, cooler weather, understandable TV, movies, college basketball, jet lag...I'm proud of our crew for handling everything for this long. Good work gang!