Sunday, October 01, 2006

DAY FIFTEEN Oct. I
Well, it's official. After a 12-year absence, my feet are back. At least 75%. More at night, it seems.

Finally got some sleep last night. Sally says I'm going out with her today, later. Hal left this morning, but shoved a picture of himself under our door. Hal is a photograper, and bought a nice Nikon and a photo printer here. He's coming back in January.

Went food shopping at Wal-Mart. Took a cab. Ridiculously busy, because of the Holiday. The shopping carts are tiny, and they steer on all four wheels, making it a good exercize to keep it under control. Never saw another caucasian. There is an escalator of sorts to the second floor (groceries.) Actually, it's an inclined moving walkway. The carts have this gravity stopper on all the wheels, so they can be taken on the escalator. Lots of strange foods. About $23 for a week's worth of groceries.

We saw a few old textile factories on the way, but mostly 30 and 40 story highrse apartments. There are literally thousands, with cranes atop new ones everywhere.

Woke up this morning to a big Red Chinese pimple on my nose. Very attractive. That's what I get for overeating at Papa John's and McDonald's...but I need protein! MEAT...animal flesh. Rice and noodles are OK once in a while.

Kathy just arrived home in St. Louis with some bad jet lag. 17 time zones away. Despite the fact that China takes up 6 time zones, they observe the same time everywhere here.

Went out again to the DVD' "store" which is actually some guy selling DVDs out of a cart for less than a buck each.

Sunny came in today and said I'd been missing the doctor's rounds because I'm downstairs at physio every day (as I am scheduled) The nurses want to give me the Chinese medicine I.V. at this time, also. Seems somebody needs to get scheduling straight. I'm just following what has been told me. They get kind of impatient with laggards downstairs. I don't want to anger Dr.Shu, with a handful of acupuncture needles. He could literally pin me to the table! Actually I prefer him to his assistants, as I rarely even feel his needles. Sunny told me to go down at 11 instead of 9AM. Hopefully they'll get the word downstairs.

Sally tried to wake up one of the nurses from a nap. Turns out she is two months pregnant, and not feeling so good.

Till tomorrow...